14.0338 talk and conferences

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/10/00

       [1]   From:    Elli Mylonas <elli_mylonas@BROWN.EDU>               (26)
             Subject: Jane Austen Digital Libraries 10/11

       [2]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                   (101)
             Subject: UCITA Teleconference Dec 13

       [3]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (96)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: [Conference]The Third World Summit on Media for
                     Children

             Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:05:56 +0100
             From: Elli Mylonas <elli_mylonas@BROWN.EDU>

    A rather late notice:

    Tomorrow, Wednesday, at 5:30
    STG conference room, Grad Center, Tower E

    ACCESSING CULTURAL HISTORY: CHAWTON HOUSE LIBRARY AND THE WEB
    Professor Michael Wheeler

    Chawton House, the Elizabethan mansion that once belonged to Jane Austen's
    brother, and that she knew well, is to be renovated as part of a major
    international project to establish The Centre for the Study of Early English
    Women's Writing, 1600-1830, and to house a magnificent collection of over
    6,200 rare books from the period, together with some related manuscripts,
    now located in the USA.

    In association with the University of Southampton, where Michael Wheeler is
    also Professor of English Literature, the Centre will develop publications
    programmes, seminars, day conferences and cultural events, which draw the
    disciplines together, ranging from literary history to garden history.  The
    Novels On-Line programme, directed by Katherine Moulton, Librarian of the
    collection at Redmond, WA,  is about to post ten more novels by forgotten
    women writers.  NOL, and the interpretation of the whole project on the web,
    will make the activities of the Centre accessible to people throughout the
    world.

    Michael Wheeler became Director of Chawton House Library in Hampshire,
    England, in October 1999, having formerly been Director of the Ruskin
    Programme at Lancaster University, where he worked with George Landow on an
    electronic edition of Modern Painters volume I.  In his new post he is
    looking at ways in which the rich history of an estate with strong literary
    connections can be accessed remotely on the web.