14.0288 primitives

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/03/00

       [1]   From:    John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu>                  (49)
             Subject: irreducible components

       [2]   From:    aimeefreak <ahm@ualberta.ca>                       (117)
             Subject: Re: 14.0282 primitives

       [3]   From:    lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)      (34)
             Subject: Primitives definition

       [4]   From:    "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com>              (13)

             Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 11:48:39 +0100
             From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu>

    [The following is exerpted from an offline conversation with John Unsworth
    on the subject of primitives. --WM]

    At 11:35 AM 9/28/00 +0100, you wrote:
     >>  John Unsworth in a talk given at King's College London (forthcoming
     >> from the Office of Humanities Communication) identified 7 scholarly
     >> primitives also based on close interdisciplinary observation and project
     >> work -- discovering, annotating, comparing, referring, sampling,
     >> illustrating and representing -- as the basis for a tool-building
     >> enterprise. He illustrated these primitives with work that has been
     >> going on for some time at IATH.

    I've put that on the web, as I do with everything...it's at

    http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/Kings.5-00/primitives.html

    please do publicize the URL in this context...there's also an earlier
    piece, focused on one primitive (searching) from a talk given at Rochester:

    http://www.iath.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/sdl.html

    if you announce that URL, please note that the piece is undergoing revision
    a final product.

     >>Contemplating Ott's TUSTEP and Unsworth's thoughts about primitives, I
     >>wonder if what we're seeing here is two parts of a much larger design,
     >>proceeding from universality to specificity.  In broad terms, could it be
     >>said that a "methodological macro" like Unsworth's "discovering" or
     >>"annotating" comprises "methodological primitives" like "consult
     >>lexicon", "search WWW" "recognise image patterns", each of which in turn
     >>comprise "mechanical primitives" and so forth?

    I don't agree with that breakdown: what I'm trying to get at in the talk I
    gave at Kings, and in the larger project that's part of, is operations that
    are irreducible components of other activities--not macros composed of many
    steps and instructions, but broad and basic archetypes.  There are, of
    course, many ways in which to search--and perhaps "mechanisms" or
    "implementations" is the way to describe those--but things like
    "discovering" and "annotating" are not primitives if they can be further
    reduced.  Of course, if they are primitives, then they must be able to be
    further specified...

     >>I see us facing a real-world problem that in turn gives us a very
     >>challenging research agenda. This problem continues to be the one Wilhelm
     >>Ott, Susan Hockey and others faced many years ago, how best collegially
     >>to support research in the humanities with computers, or in other words,
     >>how to get more of our non-technically inclined colleagues intellectually
     >>involved in applied computing -- if for no other reason than the creative
     >>imaginations they will bring into the increasingly complex equation. Do
     >>we tell them to learn C++ or whatever, or do we work with them to define
     >>a better research pidgin?

    Well, while we're on the subject, I think the bottom line here is that
    computing tools won't be an important part of humanities research until
    humanities researchers can build them.  We need a different kind of
    education and preparation--a sign, I would say, that humanities computing
    is a discipline.

    John