14.0275 noisy libraries

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 09/27/00

       [1]   From:    "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>           (2)
             Subject: Re: 14.0270 noisy libraries

       [2]   From:    Paul Jones <pjones@metalab.unc.edu>                 (25)

             Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:32:02 +0100
             From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>

    "Noise" is as unwanted on phone lines and other electronic delivery systems
    as it is in 'real' libraries.

             Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:32:46 +0100
             From: Paul Jones <pjones@metalab.unc.edu>

    chillin chillin! Please. By saying I want a 'noisy library' I was of
    course playing off the idea that the library is popularly known as a quiet
    place where one is alone with the books. Indeed most cyber-libraries are
    even quieter and lonelier than bricked ones. From early on this silence,
    this loneliness, the people-less-ness has been seen (by me and many
    others) as a drawback to cyberlibraries. So just as Jackson's coming to
    Washington made the city seem open to all in his time, I claim that the
    cyberlibrary should be open to contributor participation and interaction,
    more peopled and less lonely (if you were to choose to use it in that
    way; shy people and asocial people will find their own way to remain alone
    as they do in other realms of life, I'm sure).

    Although I like the signal to noise discussion, it is based on a complete
    misreading of my quote in the Chronicle.

    If you (and other humanist) readers would like a preview of a brief (800
    words) article that I wrote on the subject for Communications of the ACM
    (due out in the Spring), i'll be glad to send it on to you.

    Just to link back, here is the Chronicle article:
    http://www.chronicle.com/free/2000/09/2000091201t.htm
    and a feature in slashdot.org
    http://slashdot.org/features/00/09/17/155240.shtml

                                   Paul Jones
         "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As MetaLab.unc.edu
        pjones@ibiblio.org   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071