14.0246 course buyout

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 09/20/00

       [1]   From:    Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>   (72)
             Subject: Re: 14.0226 meaning of "course buyout"

       [2]   From:    "Pat Moran" <pjm0362@mailer.fsu.edu>                 (7)
             Subject: Re: 14.0223 what is a "course buyout"?

       [3]   From:    Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>   (18)
             Subject: Re: 14.0232 course buyout

       [4]   From:    "Erik Ringmar" <e.ringmar@lse.ac.uk>                (11)

             Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:18:44 +0100
             From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@bowerbird.rmit.edu.au>

    At 09:42 +0100 12/9/2000, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
     >My understanding of "course buyouts" is that the practice involves faculty
     >paying for the privilege of not teaching one of their reguarly assigned
     >courses, either by voluntarily remitting a portion of their salary or by
     >allocating grant funding for that purpose. The questions we've been asked to
     >review here include how often faculty should be permitted to exercise such an
     >option, what constitutes an appropriate dollar amount, whether the amount
     >should vary depending on the nature of the course, and so forth.
     >
     >As noted in my original posting, I'm asking not out of personal interest
     >but as
     >a fact finding exercise for a departmental committee.

    I have done this as a matter of course where I have received project
    funding. I have done this because:

    a) all my teaching is intensive (small groups, I teach and mark all my
    students work)
    b) my full time load is 12 contact hours per week per semester (i'm in
    Australia)
    c) this translates to close to 30 hours of work per week (our 'paid' week
    is 38 hours) which leaves little time for much else.

    my opinions:

    a) your courses generally still need to be managed by you when you've got
    someone else doing them
    b) your courses need to be reasonably 'modular' and contained for this to
    be effective (if you teach in a way where there is informal overlap with
    other subjects then you will have problems). An example: i used to teach
    most of the 3rd year cinema theory subjects, and the hypertext theory
    subjects. Most of the students were the same cohort, and I'd rely on
    poststructural theories my students learnt in cinema in teaching hypertext
    (or vice versa). But once someone else teaches one of these, this
    continuity is lost. Simply means I had to reassess my own teaching
    practices (which was a good thing).
    c) your courses need to be very well documented so it's clear to whoever
    comes in to teach what is to be done, how, what the outcomes are to be, and
    what the teaching and learning experience is to be. This is crucial.
    d) quality control or whatever you call it needs to be watched very
    closely. another example: i'm very familiar with my computer labs and know
    how to fix/troubleshoot pretty much every tech. problem that occurs (and I
    usually know more about this than the tech.staff for my labs,
    unfortunately). someone comes in to teach for me, assures me they can use
    all the technology. result: absolute disaster with nothing working, no
    ability to explain the problems adequately to tech. staff, students, etc.
    This is part of a larger problem about support in teaching, but mentoring
    is often needed if the person teaching is what in australia we'd call
    "sessional" (ie, part time and exploited academic). The issue is lessened
    if your teaching is performed by a fellow member of faculty.

    in terms of how often. throughout our media studies program we have
    actively sought to ensure that subjects are able to be taught by different
    staff so that:
    a) staff can move through different subjects (and not only teach one
    course, we are a small program)
    b) subjects can run well if their original 'creator' is unavailable.

    This allows staff to do research without teaching, with the additional
    outcome that staff tend not to 'own' their courses so much. it is a problem
    when very good teachers leave for research, but on the other hand (this
    will sound like management speak) how good is a teacher if their subject
    can't survive without them?

    not sure if I answered your questions Matt, but simple rule: good staff get
    good funding. If this funding can be used to
    a) generate quality research
    b) mentor junior or new staff into teaching as a profession

    then i don't see an issue about how often. on the other side it is
    relatively easy to measure teaching (hours per week, student hours, pass
    rate, whatever) which makes 'what' you do for the university reasonably
    transparent. this is rarely the case in research.

    adrian miles

    --

    lecturer in cinema studies and new media rmit university.
    61 03 9925 3157