14.0235 research and the commercial world

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 07:48:21 CUT

             Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 08:35:48 +0100
             From: "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
             Subject: Re: 14.0229 research & the commercial world

    > --[1]------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:11:53 +0100
    > From: Bill Kretzschmar <billk@atlas.uga.edu>

    [...]

    > In my own case, I freely give away my research results when they come from
    > an academic endeavor, and I also sign consulting agreements that involve
    > proprietary information while observing university regulations--I see no
    > conflict between these two activities.

    I agree that it is easy for most humanist to be proud of their correct
    attitude because it has never been tempted, but I am not certain that
    your proposal is not simplifying the problems, because the tension
    between academic and commercial information handling hasn't been
    solved by those areas of science where it has been felt longer. So
    maybe a simple "we do it like them" rule may be not enough. But I
    am interested in another point of your answer: Could you give us an
    outline how the university regulations look like? How do they
    prevent that most research results which can be used
    commercially are going this way?

    Fotis Jannidis
    Forum Computerphilologie
    http://computerphilologie.uni-muenchen.de