14.0216 sexist naming

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 06:09:47 CUT

             Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 06:54:29 +0100
             From: Elisabeth Burr <he229bu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>
             Subject: Re: 14.0204 naming and specifying

    For me, there are too many he's in this interpretation. In order
    to be able to efface himself this male good had to do away
    with nature, earth etc. first. The earth was there long before
    this male god came around and drew everything up into his
    head and rationalised it. I am sure, this is not the only way of
    interpreting it all.
    Elisabeth

    At 09:00 31.08.00 +0100, you wrote:

    > Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 14, No. 204.
    > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    > <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
    > <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
    >
    > [1] From: Steven Robinson <Robinsons@BrandonU.CA> (78)
    > > Billion Names of God"
    >
    > [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (40)
    > Subject: specification as apotropaic gesture
    >

    >--[1]------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:37:09 +0100
    > From: Steven Robinson <Robinsons@BrandonU.CA>
    > Subject: Re: 14.0200 fingerprints of genius and "The Nine Billion
    >Names of God"
    >
    >Fellow Humanists:
    >
    >I read with some surprise Willard's allusion to Clarke's story -- surprise
    >at the depth of the question he used it to prompt. I read "The Nine Billion
    >Names of God" many years ago as a child, and hadn't really thought about it
    >since then. Now his question brings it back with a wave of recognition and
    >enlightenment: "Of course!!" Of course, back then the whole idea of the
    >world existing so that God might be fully named struck me as "silly", not
    >to mention a little self-indulgent on god's part. But as Josephine Tarvers
    >says, it's not silly at all. Think of the lamas' naming as a (dare I say
    >it) metaphor for human activity as such, or, for that matter, any and all
    >activity (i.e., the activity of the world, of which our activity is a
    >specialized subset).
    >
    >Here, I'd draw your attention to an article by Hans Jonas: "Immortality and
    >the modern temper" (available in *Phenomenon of Life*, Harper & Row 1966).
    >Jonas tells a different story (he calls it a myth) which I now see has
    >provided me the key to understanding the story about the Tibetan lamas --
    >and the role of technology therein. Jonas' myth is, it seems to me, a
    >brilliant re-interpretation of Christian, Gnostic and Jewish motifs in a
    >distinctly modern, even "existentialist" vein. Here's how it goes.
    >
    >Jonas asks us to consider the creation of the world as a complete
    >self-effacement of divinity, out of which the image (name?) of divinity
    >slowly and painstaking arises over cosmic aeons. But here's the kicker:
    >there is simply no guarantee that the Divine will ever get itself back
    >again, because its restoration depends upon the free agency of active
    >selves (i.e., us). And we could screw it up. And we do screw it up. The
    >Divine depends upon us to restore itself through us; hence our immense
    >responsibility. Every action of ours is inscribed on the face of divinity
    >for all eternity; every action of ours is like a "naming" of God. Let me
    >quote a few lines:
    >
    >"in order that the world might be, and be for itself, God renounced his own
    >being, divesting himself of his deity -- to receive it back from the
    >Odyssey of time weighted with the chance harvest of unforseeable temporal
> [...]
    Prof'in Dr. Elisabeth Burr
    FB10/Romanistik
    Universitaet Bremen
    eburr@uni-bremen.de