14.0200 fingerprints of genius and "The Nine Billion Names of God"

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 20:40:10 CUT

       [1] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (60)
             Subject: Of names, gods and disappearances

       [2] From: "Tarvers, Josephine K." (22)
                     <tarversj@exchange.winthrop.edu>
             Subject: RE: 14.0196 what if we succeeded?

       [3] From: "Eric S. Rabkin" <esrabkin@umich.edu> (61)

       [4] From: aimeefreak <ahm@ualberta.ca> (24)

       [5] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (46)

       [6] From: "Dr Donald J. Weinshank" <weinshan@cse.msu.edu> (24)

    [Many thanks to the several others who wrote in to identify Arthur C
    Clarke's story. --WM]

             Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:14:51 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    Willard,

    Somewhere in the universe, while your thought-experiment namer recites the
    names of some supreme being, another thought-experiment atheist generates
    new names and resists the lure of thermodynamic entropy too clossely
    wedded to monotheism.

    A name is not a nonrewnable quanta of energy that is lost once played in
    some game of communication. Names are not atoms.

    And even if they were considered or encoded atomisticly, their
    interactions may perhaps be better capture by models based on non-linear
    dynamical systems rather than classical mechanics.

    Allow me to quote Sir Oliver Lodge:

    But this idea of the dissipation or degradation of energy I do not put
    amng the most fundatmental of modern scientific ideas, for we are
    geginning to suspect that there may be a renovating or rsuscitating cause,
    about which it is best to hold judgment in suspense. We cannot be sure
    that a cyclical or recurrent or periodic activity, continuing without
    cessastion for ever, is not a characteristic of the material universe as a
    whole. Likened to a great Loom, from the oscillations of which there
    steadily emerges a woven fabric of beauty and design, the product or
    outcome of the periodic working of the material universe may be sought in
    a gradual increase or rise in spiritual values -- a fluctuating, but on
    the whole progressive, improvement in higher and still higher qualities of
    life and mind --- magnum Jovis incrmentum.

    from Modern Scientific Ideas Especially the Idea of Discontiuity (1927)

    Notwithstanding the Hegelian spiral of improvement invoked by Sir Oliver,
    I do believe that intellectual historians might be inclined to place
    between the heyday of the clockwork universe metaphor and rise of the Loom
    (aka Web) metaphor three interesing developments: in the domain of
    mathematics and physics, advances in modeling systems far from
    equilibrium; in the domain of philosophy, the linguistic turn; and in the
    technological domain, the perfection of computing machines.

    And need I add in the domain of culture : pluralism & hybridity?

    Is it an accident that W. Gibson in the concluding volume of his trilogy
    introduces the Loa of Voodoo tradition as inhabitants of cyberspace? I
    wonder how many teachers assign all three novels: Neuromancer, Mona Lisa
    Overdrive and Count Zero. Rereading Neuromancer after completing Count
    Zero is a rather interesting experience. The network has its
    discontinuities....

    I wonder if the devastation of the supreme being by naming would not
    require a similutaneous naming of all the names at once (not easy to
    coordinate over time zones *smile*) --- all names actual and potential.

    I guess this little excursion brings back a truism about Humanities
    Computing. HC is about the intricate interplay between the actual and
    potential as well as the manifest and the latent and the squaring of these
    two pairs.

                    actual manifest

                    latent potential

    Somehow your little anecdote or thought experiment implies that when the
    latent is made manifest (via a speaking of the unspoken [pronouncing of
    the unpronouncable]) all potential collapses into the actual and without
    a potential to nourish it the actual dies.

    But does that not nourish the potential? The machine may crash but the
    machine model work on.

    Maybe Sir Oliver's Hegelian moment deserves a rerun in this century of
    proliferating cybernetic domains.

       --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
            http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance