14.0178 "computing", "cyberspace"

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 07:30:33 CUT

       [1] From: "Chris McMahon" <pharmakeus@hotmail.com> (11)
             Subject: Re: 14.0174 two questions

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (33)
             Subject: "computing"?

       [3] From: r913521 <E.Somerville@uea.ac.uk> (147)
             Subject: RE: 14.0170cyberspace

             Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 08:25:35 +0100
             From: "Chris McMahon" <pharmakeus@hotmail.com>

    Dear Stephanie,

    I wonder if the word "computing" does not smack somewhat of punch-cards?
    Certainly I do not "compute" (at least not with computers). But then I am
    not particularly interested in *content analysis* (or *discourse analysis*)
    - not that I think those things are worthless. I have other fish to fry.
    Computers in Applied Lingusistics? What my wife and her patron, et al., are
    doing out at University of Canberra is utilizing *information technology*
    to help create *student centered learning environments*. This seems to be
    in tune with a certain *wave* that is sweeping *Language Teaching*?

    :) Chris