14.0107 ethical dilemmas, ethics for machines

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 06:16:36 CUT

       [1] From: robert Cavalier <rc2z@andrew.cmu.edu> (64)
             Subject: ethical dilemmas

       [2] From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni- (32)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Ethics for Machines!

             Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:06:27 +0100
             From: robert Cavalier <rc2z@andrew.cmu.edu>

    It's nice to find this reference to my talk in Munich! I can refer you to
    our publisher, Routledge, as they have a site where you can order two of
    the CD-ROMs that we have published. Part of the rationale for our
    developement of these programs is to demonstrate the need for 'thick
    descriptions' and 'relective engagement' in the context of discussing
    "ethical dilemmas." The use of a text-based case summary can't do justice
    to the complexity of real world scenarios. (Or so the argument goes:)

    Go to www.routledge.com and type the keyword "Dax" for our study of a burn
    patient who wishes to be allowed to die (The Case of Dax Cowart") and type
    the keyword "Abortion" for out study of the Issue of Abortion in America.

    Now, I wish I could point you to our Center's URL, but we are still
    recovering from a hacker attack and would have all of our materials back on
    line until the end of summer. An Ethics Center, nonetheless!

    --On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 8:27 PM +0200 Arun-Kumar Tripathi
    <tripathi@statistik.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

    > Greetings All,
    >
    > I hope, Prof. Charles Ess and Prof. Robert Cavalier would like to provide
    > more thoughts with references on "Carnegie Mellon's Center for the
    > Advancement of Applied Ethics". Thank you!
    >
    > Sincerely
    > Arun Tripathi
    >
    > On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
    >> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 14, No. 78.
    >> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    >> <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
    >> <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
    >>
    >> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:06:24 +0100
    >> From: "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
    >> >>
    >> > I'm Chris Plasencia, I'm a summer intern helping launch a website
    >> > called Fairness.com. Among other things, our site will be featuring
    >> > discussions based on various "ethical dilemma" scenarios. My
    >> > questions are:
    >> >
    >> > i) what are the some classic, highly regarded books that
    >> > collect such scenarios?
    >> > ii) how could we get in touch with professors and teachers who
    >> > may have case studies of their own that they would be willing
    >> > to contribute?
    >> >

    >> A few days ago I heard a very interesting lecture by Prof. Robert
    >> Cavalier from Pittsburgh on three interactive multimedia CD-ROMs which
    >> have been developed at Carnegie Mellon's Center for the Advancement of
    >> Applied Ethics which could be a help in your search.
    >> Fotis Jannidis
    >>
    >> [For two of the fine pieces of work done by this group, see
    >> <http://www.routledge.com/routledge/electronic/>, s.v. "Abortion in
    >> America" and "A Right to Die?" Preston Covey, one of the primary people
    >> involved, writes very movingly about his work in applied ethics; see

    <http://hss.cmu.edu/HTML/departments/philosophy/people/directory/Preston>>
    _Cov ey.html>. --WM]

    Robert Cavalier
    CAAE/Philosophy