14.0086 belated comments on the KCL Colloquium

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 06:07:01 CUT

             Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 07:03:58 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 14.0039 report on Colloquium at King's College London

    [The following was unhelpfully misdirected by a filter in Eudora and so has
    been delayed in publication here. My apologies (again, on behalf of
    software) to Francois Lachance and everyone else. --WM]

    Willard,

    With a big gathering looming (Glasgow) it is not without a certain
    timeliness that I praise John Lavagnino's report on the humanities
    computing colloquium held at King's College London in May.

    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/Humanist/v14/0037.html

    John's report weaves a lovely narrative. There is a flair for the
    personalities involved. It is not a mere reportage. I do appreciate the
    reshuffling of the presenations in his report. He does not follow the
    order of the scheduled presentation. I do like the narrative line he casts
    from the problem of machines dealing with ambiguity through to the
    collaborative mysteries of community via the tension between formalization
    and deformation.

    I wish all who attend the gathering in Glasglow and those of us who will
    follow the proceedings from afar an equally enriching experience.

    Humanities computing: formal methods, experimental practice

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance