14.0081 letters

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 06:09:23 CUT

       [1] From: Kathryn Harvey <kharvey@iworks.net> (34)
             Subject: Re: 14.0043 e-editions of letters?

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (21)
             Subject: love-letters?

             Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:02:23 +0100
             From: Kathryn Harvey <kharvey@iworks.net>

    I'm writing in response to Charles Faulhaber's query in late May about
    other electronic editions of correspondence being prepared for web-based
    delivery.

    The Thomas Raddall Electronic Archive Project, based at Dalhousie
    University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, is currently about half-way through
    Phase One which will be completed in September 2000. This phase will make
    available, over the Internet, sixty letters dating from 1937 to 1979. More
    letters and other textual and nontextual works will subsequently become
    available as the electronic archive develops. (The Dalhousie University
    Archives holds Raddall's manuscripts, correspondence, diaries, research
    notes, scrapbooks, photographs, etc. as well as his copyrights.)

    The project--directed by Holly Melanson (Assistant University Librarian,
    Collections and Development, Dalhousie University)--is using TEI Lite for
    the SGML-encoding and is in the early stages of developing the delivery
    interface.

    More about the project and links to information about Thomas Raddall
    himself can be found at
    http://www.library.dal.ca/archives/trela/trela.htm. We would welcome
    discussions with others working on challenges similar to our own!

    Sincerely,
    Kathryn Harvey

    Dr. Kathryn Harvey
    Project Manager, Thomas Raddall Electronic Archive Project,
            Archives, Killam Memorial Library
            Dalhousie University
            Halifax, Nova Scotia
            Canada B3H 4H8
            (http://www.library.dal.ca/archives/trela/trela.htm)
    SGML Consultant/Developer, Early Modern Literary Studies
            (http://purl.oclc.org/emls/emlshome.html)
            and Internet Shakespeare Editions
            (http://web.uvic.ca/shakespeare/)
    E-mail: kharvey@iworks.net