14.0079 new on WWW: social anthropology in Galicia

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 17:09:13 CUT

             Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:52:25 +0100
             From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk>
             Subject: "Discovering Social Anthropology in Galicia" teaching
    material now available on the ERA web site

    I am pleased to be able to announce that the following material is now
    available on the ERA web site - either via the main page
    (www.era.anthropology.ac.uk) or at its direct address

    http://www.era.anthropology.ac.uk/Teach-yourself/

    Discovering Social Anthropology in Galicia

    (Supplementary materials to Chris Hann: Teach Yourself Social Anthropology,
    London, 2000. This site published 23/06/00. A revised version will be
    published later this summer)

    Synopsis

    Social anthropology began as the science of the exotic and 'savage', but
    anthropologists have extended the range of their discipline to include the
    most 'advanced' societies, and everything in between. The materials made
    available are linked to the author's simultaneously published book "Teach
    Yourself Social Anthropology" (London, Hodder and Stoughton, 2000). They
    describe a seven week course
    in social anthropology at a summer school in the Polish city of Cracow.
    Postcommunist society is neither exotically strange nor reassuringly
    familiar to the participants, who learn to apply and deepen their knowledge
    in a variety of activities outside the classroom.

    We are very pleased that Chris Hann has chosen this route to make his
    material available, and we would welcome other contributions to help the
    further development of the ERA project

    Dr David Zeitlyn,
    Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology,
    Centre for Social Anthropology and Computing,
    Department of Anthropology,
    Eliot College, The University of Kent,
    Canterbury,
    CT2 7NS, UK.