14.0058 new book; scholarly publishing principles

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 07:40:21 CUT

       [1] From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni- (42)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: [New Book] From Gutenberg to the Global Information
                     Infrastructure

       [2] From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland@LBORO.AC.UK> (68)
             Subject: Scholarly Publishing Principles (fwd)

             Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:33:44 +0100
             From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
    Infrastructure

    Dear Humanist Scholars,

    The following is a book which readers of this list might find of
    interest. For more information please visit at:
    <http://mitpress.mit.edu/promotions/books/BORFHS00>

    BOOK:-
    >From Gutenberg to the Global Information Infrastructure
    Access to Information in the Networked World
    written by Prof. Christine L. Borgman

    **SHORT ABSTRACT & DETAILS ABOUT THE BOOK**
    Will the emerging global information infrastructure (GII) create a
    revolution in communication equivalent to that wrought by Gutenberg, or
    will the result be simply the evolutionary adaptation of existing
    behavior and institutions to new media? Will the GII improve access to
    information for all? Will it replace libraries and publishers? How can
    computers and information systems be made easier to use? What are the
    trade-offs between tailoring information systems to user communities
    and standardizing them to interconnect with systems designed for other
    communities, cultures, and languages?

    This book takes a close look at these and other questions of
    technology, behavior, and policy surrounding the GII. Topics covered
    include the design and use of digital libraries; behavioral and
    institutional aspects of electronic publishing; the evolving role of
    libraries; the life cycle of creating, using, and seeking information;
    and the adoption and adaptation of information technologies. The book
    takes a human-centered perspective, focusing on how well the GII fits
    into the daily lives of the people it is supposed to benefit.

    Taking a unique holistic approach to information access, the book draws
    on research and practice in computer science, communications, library
    and information science, information policy, business, economics, law,
    political science, sociology, history, education, and archival and
    museum studies. It explores both domestic and international issues. The
    author's own empirical research is complemented by extensive literature
    reviews and analyses.

    Christine L. Borgman is Professor and Presidential Chair in Information
    Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, and Visiting
    Professor at Loughborough University, England.

    6 x 9, 340 pp., cloth ISBN 0-262-02473-X

    Digital Libraries and Electronic Publishing series

    Please contact Jud Wolfskill, the Associate Publicist, MIT Press at
    <wolfskil@mit.edu> for more details about the above book and other MIT
    publications. Thank you!

    Sincerely
    Arun Tripathi

             Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:34:52 +0100
             From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland@LBORO.AC.UK>

    This looks interesting. Fytton.

    >Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:57:27 -0500
    > >From: Susan Searing <searing@ALEXIA.LIS.UIUC.EDU>
    > >To: JESSE@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
    >
    >Messages to jESSE: [reply, or jESSE@listserv.utk.edu]
    > to Moderator: [gwhitney@utk.edu]
    > to Sender: [take e-mail address from message below]
    >Info on jESSE: [http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/jesse.html]

    ---

    ********************************************************** Fytton Rowland, M.A., Ph.D., F.I.Inf.Sc., Lecturer, Deputy Director of Undergraduate Programmes and Programme Tutor for Publishing with English, Department of Information Science, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leics LE11 3TU, UK.

    Phone +44 (0) 1509 223039 Fax +44 (0) 1509 223053 E-mail: J.F.Rowland@lboro.ac.uk http://info.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/staff/frowland.html **********************************************************