14.0049 new on WWW & other news

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 06:16:50 CUT

       [1] From: Eve Trager <etrager@umich.edu> (54)
             Subject: The Latest Issue of the Journal of Electronic
                     Publishing

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (17)
             Subject: new CIT InfoBits

       [3] From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk> (34)
             Subject: Anthropological Index Online Update - May 2000

             Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 07:06:19 +0100
             From: Eve Trager <etrager@umich.edu>
             Subject: The Latest Issue of the Journal of Electronic Publishing

    BETWEEN DANGER AND OPPORTUNITY

    Motivational speakers like to talk about how the Chinese word for
    "crisis" is made up of the ideograms for "danger" and "opportunity."
    If a crisis is indeed a turning point, as my dictionary reminds me,
    then electronic publishing is a crisis, challenging us to rethink
    what we do and how we do it, turning in new directions.

    Here is the June 2000 issue of The Journal of Electronic Publishing,
    turning in some new ideas, for your reading enjoyment:
    http://www.press.umich.edu/jep

    In this issue our JEP authors see only opportunity in the dangers
    that may beset us.

            Lessons for Sustaining Ecological Science and Policy
               Through the Internet
            http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-04/holling.html
    C.S. (Buzz) Holling, editor of Conservation Ecology, explores how
    financial crisis helped the journal find a new opportunity.

            An Analysis of Washingtonpost.com's Live Online
               http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-04/young.html
    Jeffrey R. Young shows us what happens to the relationship between
    authors and readers when they join in online chats.

               Digital Workflow:
               Managing the Process Electronically
               http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-04/sheridan.html
    Linda Beebe and Barbara Meyers write about how technology can give
    publishers more control over the publishing process.

               A Proposal for the Establishment of Review Boards
               http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-04/edmonds.html
    Bruce Edmonds argues that open peer review and free publication can
    solve some of the problems with today's peer-review processes.

               Fair Use and Distance Learning
               in the Digital Age
               http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-04/smith.html
    Millison Smith urges the passage of two bills currently before the
    U.S. Congress to open opportunities to telecommuting students.

               Best Practices for Digital Archiving:
               An Information Life-Cycle Approach
               http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-04/hodge.html
    Gail M. Hodge says that if we make digital archiving a part of the
    publishing process from the beginning, we will solve problems before
    they occur.

               The X(HTML) Files
               http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/05-04/lieb0504.html
    Columnist Thom Lieb details the opportunities that XHTML offers to
    publishers seeking a migratory path from danger (HTML) to opportunity
    (XML).

    If you have some thoughts about danger, opportunity, and crisis,
    share them in Potpourri.
            http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/potpourri.html

    Enjoy!

                 Judith Axler Turner