14.0034 electronic publishing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 06:07:11 CUT

             Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 07:03:20 +0100
             From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gary_shawver@yahoo.com>
             Subject: Re: 14.0013 electronic publishing

    Willard, et al.

    Harnad's positions seems well articulated to me. The article in D-Lib
    mentioned by Jennifer de Beer provides a point of view that is
    complimentary to his. Richard Kaser writes that we do pay for "free"
    information and points out that this is not a new idea. It is, in fact, an
    illusion fostered by some of the very institutions objecting to the
    assertion that "information wants to be free." Paul Brains's report of
    data-mining by textbook publishers illustrates both the irresistible allure
    of free information to for-profit information producers and the point
    implicit in Kaser's article that publishers simultaneously object to and
    rely upon the illusion of free information. I'm curious, are there any
    objections other than those raised by "ah" in the exchange with Harnad to
    providing free access to scholarly electronic journals?

    gary