14.0032 data-mining by textbook publishers

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 05:52:06 CUT

             Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 06:43:00 +0100
             From: Han Baltussen <han.baltussen@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: Re: 14.0028 data-mining by textbook publishers

    I have had no experience but it is perhaps of interest to note that a new
    company to start end of july (swotbook.com) is about to start using
    electronic business for textbook distribution (source: last week's THES, UK)

    HB

    > Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 14, No. 28.
    > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    > <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
    > <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
    >

    > Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 05:48:12 +0100
    > From: Paul Brians <brians@mail.wsu.edu>
    > >

    >Because I've done published some of my translations on the Web, from time
    >to time I'm contacted by textbook publishers wanting to reprint them in
    >readers.
    >
    >So far, in every case, they've offered no money, though they quickly
    >acceded when I asked a modest fee. And in every case the contract they sent
    >me had no mention of the fee on it. A follow-up call usually results in my
    >being told to just write the fee in.
    >
    >Now why would one design a contract omitting any mention of payment unless
    >one were hoping to trick the unwary into signing automatically and
    >forfeiting payment? Has anyone else encountered this sort of attempt at
    >piratical data mining on the Web?
    >
    >Then there are the companies that want to sell you public-domain texts at
    >low, low prices when they're readily available free on the Web.
    >
    >Professors are viewed by some of these publishers as unintelligent cash
    >cows, ready for milking.
    >--
    >Paul Brians, Department of English
    >Washington State University
    >Pullman, WA 99164-5020
    >brians@wsu.edu
    >http://www.wsu.edu/~brians

    Dr Han Baltussen

    Research Fellow & Assistant Editor
    to the Ancient Commentators Project
    Dept. of Philosophy
    Kings College London
    Strand
    London WC2R 2LS
    tel. (0)20-7848-2528
    fax. (0)20-7848-2317
    >>Please note that I will not be in the office on May 16 and June 6-9.<<

    Any queries on Project matters on those particular days can be directed to
    Eleni Vambouli (eleni.vambouli@kcl.ac.uk) or
    Eleni Volonaki (eleni.volonaki@kcl.ac.uk)