14.0011 humanities computing in an Institute of Science and Technology?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 03:56:46 CUT

             Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 04:51:23 +0100
             From: Elisabeth Burr <he229bu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>
             Subject: humanities computing in an Institute of Science and
    Technology

    Dear Humanists,

    Let me present the following scenario to you: a university is planning to
    become an institute of science and technology where the humanities are
    supposed to accompany the development in a critical way (impact on society,
    ethic, envi- ronment etc.). Traditional linguistics and literature would
    not really have a place, but languages would have to play a role in terms
    of internationalisation.

    Given this background my questions are:

    Would this be the moment to bring humanities computing in and in which way?

    Are there similar scenarios of which humanities computing is a part and how
    does it work?

    What sort of courses are you teaching and with which philosophy?

    Which arguments did you use when you where pushing for humanities computing?

    I am looking forward to your contributions

    Elisabeth

    Prof'in Dr. Elisabeth Burr
    FB10/Romanistik
    Universitaet Bremen