13.0558 Macaulay quotation and text-retrieval

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 20:02:58 CUT

             Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:49:41 +0100
             From: "Michael S. Hart" <hart@prairienet.org>
             Subject: Re: 13.0555 Macaulay quotation

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

    > I looked in both volumes of: History of England from James II
    > and didn't see the word "newspaper" or "news-paper" there at all. . . .
    > Also did searches on "history" but got too many hits to scan them all.
    > Suggestions for other searches? >>

    Scare me to death about my search engine!

    I did a number of searches before I realized"

    The word "Newspapers" appears in the table of contents for Chapter III,
    but the quote below starts with the mention of "newsletters". . . .
    But the header "Newspapers" does not appear IN Chapter III, only in
    the table of contents. . .and the quote is not the first part of
    Chapter III. . .made me wonder if my search engine had totally lost it,
    until I started searching for portions of the quotation.

    Thanks!

    So nice to hear from you!!

    Michael S. Hart
    <hart@pobox.com>
    Project Gutenberg
    "Ask Dr. Internet"
    Executive Director
    Internet User ~#100

    > This was what I was thinking of but it doesn't quite say what I thought
    that
    > it said when I responded previously.
    >
    > David Reed
    >
    > History of England from James II [Volume 1]
    > by Thomas Babington Macaulay
    > CHAPTER III.
    >
    > Newspapers
    >
    > No part of the load which the old mails carried out was more
    > important than the newsletters. In 1685 nothing like the London
    > daily paper of our time existed, or could exist. Neither the
    > necessary capital nor the necessary skill was to be found.

    [snip]