13.0536 evaluating WWW materials

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 14:19:39 CUT

      [1] From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mgk@pop.uky.edu> (14)
            Subject: Re: 13.0531 evaluating WWW materials

      [2] From: cbf@socrates.berkeley.edu (83)

      [3] From: "P. T. Rourke" <ptrourke@mediaone.net> (45)
            Subject: Evaluating WWW Materials

            Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 14:08:11 -0400
            From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mgk@pop.uky.edu>

    On the original question, the MLA's Draft Guidelines on Evaluating Work with
    Digital Media in the Modern Languages may be helpful:

    http://www.mla.org/reports/ccet/draft_ccet_guidelines.htm

    But I think the issue could also be considered not from the standpoint of
    whether non-peer-reviewed materials should or should not count as "research,"
    but rather what constitutes peer-review in the first place. In Eric Johnson's
    example:

    > As far as documentation of use and of acceptance by the scholarly
    >community, the faculty member might list the sites that contain links to
    >the material -- along with any annotation (for example, "The best
    >web-based corpus of words of historical Spanish texts can be found at

    "The best web-based corpus . . . " Is this not a form of peer-review? Is
    peer-review necessarily limited to the mechanisms in place on the editorial
    board of a journal or university press? Matt