13.0470 CORRECTED announcement of the Colloquium

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 20:52:03 CUT

             Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 18:11:25 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: CORRECTED announcement of the Colloquium

    Following is a corrected version of the announcement for the colloquium
    I've organised. Mea maxima culpa for setting back the universal clock one
    year! Many thanks to Dr Donald Weinshank for pointing out the error.
    WM

    PLEASE CIRCULATE
    ------------------------------

    Humanities computing: formal methods, experimental practice

    King's College London
    Blackwell Room (Department of Music)

    This one-day colloquium centres on the question of how we might best
    conceptualise the application of computing to the humanities. Because, as
    in the sciences, computing humanists use equipment to study data, the
    colloquium asks where among the sciences we might look for the most helpful
    models. Is humanities computing more like a theoretical or an experimental
    science?

    If its end is articulation of stable formal methods, through algorithms and
    structures in metadata, then perhaps humanities computing is potentially
    akin to computer science at its theoretical end, offering us eventually
    what we might call a 'calculus for the arts and letters'. If, however, it
    is a pragmatic, heuristic practice, sometimes working with but not
    necessarily dependent on theory, then it would seem more like an
    experimental science as this has come to be undestood in recent years. The
    colloquium brings together a philosopher of science, a sociologist of
    science, a literary critic, a theoretician and philologist and a director
    of a humanities computing research institute to discuss the habits of mind
    and work that we might use to form a coherent picture of the emerging field.

    Participants and titles

    HASOK CHANG, Lecturer in the Philosophy of Science, Department of Science
    and Technology Studies, University College London. "What philosophy tells
    us about experimental science"

    HARRY COLLINS, Distinguished Research Professor and Director, Centre for
    the Study of Knowledge Expertise and Science, University of Cardiff.
    "Formalising humanities or unformalising science?"

    JEROME MCGANN, John Stewart Bryan University Professor, University of
    Virginia. "Dialogue and Interpretation at the Interface of Man and Machine.
    Reflections on Textuality and a Proposal for an Experiment in Machine Reading"

    TITO ORLANDI, Professore Ordinario di Lingua e Letteratura Copta, Direttore
    del Centro Interdipartimentale di Servizio per l'Automazione nelle
    Discipline Umanistiche dell'Universit degli Studi di Roma - La Sapienza.
    "Ideas for a Theoretical Foundation of Humanities Computing"

    JOHN UNSWORTH, Associate Professor of English, Director of the Institute
    for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, University of Virginia.
    "Scholarly Primitives: what methods do humanities researchers have in
    common, and how might our tools reflect this?"

    For schedule and additional information see:
    <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/seminar/99-00/seminar_hc.html>
    To register contact:
    <cch@kcl.ac.uk>

    Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
    voice: +44 (0)171 848 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 848 5081
    <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> <http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/>
    maui gratia