13.0463 gratitude expressed

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 07:57:59 CUT

             Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 07:56:04 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: mille grazie

    Dear Colleagues:

    No one but myself and its author can see the elegance of the newly
    redesigned and adapted perl code that I use for processing Humanist
    messages; all you may be able to detect is my slightly less pressurised
    manner. The covert improvement is due not so much to the charm that the
    elegence of this design has over me, more to the simple fact that
    processing the messages now takes so much less effort than before. So, I
    wish publically to thank Malgosia Askanas (of the Spoon Collective), who
    first volunteered to improve my situation, then actually did so. Many hours
    of programming were involved.

    Some of you are old enough in the seminar to remember that the original
    code was written by Michael Sperberg-McQueen, to help us out of a pickle
    (the Pickle of Too Many Messages, or so was claimed in those heady, naive
    days) by allowing me to group messages together thematically. Then, when I
    moved to London, John Bradley rewrote the code so that it would work better
    here, and so it did. The need to make the changes that provoked Malgosia's
    redesign was caused by the move of the processing site to IATH (Virginia),
    whose collaboration with us at King's College London is also most
    gratefully acknowledged.

    "Do what you do only out of love."

    Yours,
    WM
    Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
    voice: +44 (0)171 848 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 848 5081
    <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> <http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/>
    maui gratia