13.0445 new on WWW: article; copyright stuff

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 20:46:20 CUT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (40)
             Subject: Article: Research Framework for Libraries, Archives

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (172)
             Subject: Anti-Circumvention Comments

             Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 20:35:02 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    Febnruary 24, 2000

           "Scientific, Industrial, and Cultural Heritage: A Shared Approach"
                 A research framework for libraries, archives and museums
                  prepared for the European Commission by Lorcan Dempsey
                       <http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue22/dempsey/>http://www.aria
    <http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue22/dempsey/>http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue22/
    dempsey/

    Readers will perhaps be interested in this paper written for the UK's E-Lib
    magazine Ariadne, by Lorcan Dempsey, director, of the UK Office for Library
    and Information Networking (UKOLN). It's a paper developed for the European
    Commission on the issue of how to develop a research framework in which
    libraries, archives and museums could work together as they move into a
    shared network space.

    Part of the point of the paper is nicely expressed in "the Challenge:" The
    digital medium is radically new. Although there is continuity of purpose
    and value within cultural institutions, these exist alongside a fundamental
    examination of roles and practices. The costs of developing necessary roles
    and sustainable practices will be high, as will the social and
    organizational costs of change and institution building. However the costs
    of not doing so will be higher, as the cultural and intellectual legacy to
    future generations is entrusted to a house of cards built on a million web
    sites.

    David Green (with thanks to Alice Grant)