13.0438 conference: Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 06:36:42 CUT

             Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 06:33:20 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: CONFERENCE: American Institute for

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    February 24, 2000

           American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC)
                   Annual Conference: Philadelphia, PA: June 8-13, 2000
                                 <http://aic.stanford.edu>http://aic.stanford.edu

    A particularly interesting conference program will be presented at the AIC
    conference this summer, with a particular focus on the preservation of
    electronic media.

    David Green
    ===========

    >The 28th Annual Meeting of the American Institute for Conservation of
    >Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) will be held June 8-13, 2000 at the
    >Adams Mark Hotel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. AIC is the national
    >membership organization of conservation professionals dedicated to
    >preserving the art and historic artifacts of our cultural heritage for
    >future generations.
    >
    >The general session, entitled "Preservation of Electronic Media," will
    >commence on the morning of Friday, June 9th with the keynote address. The
    >keynote speaker is MAXWELL L. ANDERSON, Director, Whitney Museum of
    >American Art, New York, NY with a lecture entitled Cupped Hands in the
    >Stream: Digital Media's Challenge to Collecting Institutions.
    >
    >Featured lectures include:
    >* Creating a Digital Archive for the Most Well Documented Movie Ever -
    >STAR WARS, JUSTIN GRAHAM , Image Archivist, LucasFilm, San Rafael, CA
    >
    >* Between Cinema and a Hard Place: The Conservation and Documentation of a
    >Video Installation by Gary Hill, PIP LAURENSON, Conservator of Media Arts,
    >The Tate Gallery, London, England
    >
    >* Technological Evolution of Video, JIM LINDNER, President, VidiPax, New
    >York, NY
    >
    >* Accelerated Life Expectancy Estimation of Data Storage Media: How Long
    >Will It Last, and How Do You Know?, WILLIAM P. MURRAY, Reliability
    >Engineer, Maplewood, MN
    >
    >* Immaterial Culture: Collecting in the 21st Century, ABBY SMITH, Council
    >on Library Information Resources, Washington, DC
    >
    >* Documentation as Conservation: The Process of Becoming and Sustaining
    >Art, JUDITH VAN BARON, Vice President for External Affairs, Savannah
    >College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA
    >
    >* Collecting Video Art: What are the Minimum Accession Requirements?,
    >SARAH STAUDERMAN, Conservator, VidiPax, New York, NY
    >
    >* Digital Information Lasts Forever - or Five Years, Whichever Comes
    >First, JEFF ROTHENBERG, Senior Computer Scientist, Rand Corporation, Santa
    >Monica, CA
    >
    >On Saturday, June 10th the general session will continue. Featured
    >lectures include:
    >
    >* The Effects of Moisture Content on Cultural Materials, MARION
    >MECKLENBURG, Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education,
    >Washington, DC and SHEILA FAIRBRASS , Surface Measurements Systems,
    >Cooperburg, PA
    >
    >* Laser Technolgoes and Digital Analysis for the Documentation,
    >Assessment and Treatment of Historic Structures and Sites, GUY MUNSCH,
    >Architectural Conservator, Philadelphia, PA
    >
    >* On-line Artifactual Treatment Documentation Management System and
    >Multimedia Training Production, MARC REEVES AND ANNA STENSTROM, The
    >Goldsmith Conservation Laboratory, New York Public Library, New York, NY
    >
    >* Computerized Information System for Preservation Management, JAMES M.
    >REILLY, DOUGLAS NISHIMURA, EDWARD ZINN AND MARIA FERNANDA VALVERDE, Image
> [...]

    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninc
    h-announce/>.