13.0427 what we need & how (not) to get it

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 07:06:44 CUT

       [1] From: "Malcolm Hayward, English, IUP, Indiana PA 15705" (20)
                     <MHAYWARD@grove.iup.edu>
             Subject: Re: 13.0423 what we need: a provocation

       [2] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (29)

             Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 06:55:28 +0000
             From: "Malcolm Hayward, English, IUP, Indiana PA 15705"
    <MHAYWARD@grove.iup.edu>

    I absolutely think a tool-box and set of manuals for the
    use of those tools should be high up on our list of priorities
    for our discipline. To comment on the "limitations of
    the tools we need to outgrow," and to extend a metaphor,
    you don't ever really outgrow a hammer and saw even when
    you buy a power nailer and a circular saw: you just find
    ways to accomplish the tasks you want to do more efficiently
    and quickly. For example, last fall I used SPSS for windows
    for the first time. Now I am sure others have been using that
    for years, but for me it was like a revelation: the program was
    brilliant and I did in 20 minutes what it used to take days
    to do with writing those little programs on SPSS-X. No way
    are we going to outgrow the need for statistical analyses.
    Which makes me think: maybe the issue is not so much that we
    need a new set of different tools, but that we need sets of
    plans, suggestions, patterns and the like for better, more
    imaginative use of the tools that are at hand. After all,
    that hammer and saw can be used to build tables, chairs,
    dressers, bookshelves, or, as I am going to build right now,
    register covers for floor vents. Malcolm Hayward