13.0388 CD-ROMs in libraries

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 19:55:14 CUT

             Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:49:54 +0000
             From: Leo Robert Klein <lk13@is2.nyu.edu>
             Subject: Re: 13.0384 CD-ROMs in libraries

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, "Theodore F. Brunner" wrote:
    > Throughout the three-day meeting, the librarians kept maintaining the
    > following: The professors should be allowed to crate their electronic data
    > banks and CD ROMS, but once they had done their duty, they should, much
    > like the Moor in Othello, disappear from the scene and let the librarians
    > take over. Librarians, it was held, are far better equipped to manage
    > scholarly resources--electronic or otherwise--than professors.

    Being a librarian, I didn't mean to say that librarians are all
    thumbs nor would I take it on myself to affect the bete noir status of
    a fellow human being. Multimedia cdroms and material built around highly
    proprietary software are simply tough to migrate no matter what the
    institution.

    Since I don't feel libraries have particularly distinguished themselves in
    their use of current multimedia techniques, it's hard to imagine what they
    could do with the CDROMs of five years ago or more.

    That said, there's a whole welter of material from text to image which
    I'd happily consign to a library for preservation and access. The
    contribution by libraries in this area has been significant--particularly
    in regard to following open standards and developing archival criteria for
    electronic media, as any visit, for example, to LC's tech pages will show.

    LEO

    Leo Robert Klein 151 E. 25th St., rm. 524
    Web Coordinator & New York, NY.10010
    Digital Resources Developer Tel.: (212) 802-2373
    William & Anita Newman Library Fax: (212) 802-2360
    Baruch College/CUNY Email: leo.klein@nyu.edu

           home :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: http://pages.nyu.edu/~lk13
         office :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: http://newman.baruch.cuny.edu