13.0386 two conferences

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 20:56:30 CUT

       [1] From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni- (57)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: First Media Ecology Association Convention

       [2] From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni- (12)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: CFP: Technoscience, Citizenship and Culture

             Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 20:49:20 +0000
             From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-dortmund.de>

    Greetings,

    [Hi, Following Call for FIRST Media Ecology Conference is forwarded via
    Association of Internet Researchers (air-l list) <air-l@info.comm.uic.edu>
    Attention: The most latest book of Prof. Paul Levinson is "Digital
    McLuhan: A Guide to the Information Millennium (Routledge, 1999) Thanks
    a lot. --Arun Tripathi]

    ~~~~
    Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 19:05:37 -0500
    From: "J. Sternberg" <netberg@compuserve.com>

    Greetings, fellow Internet reseachers. I've been lurking here on the
    list for a while, and I thought some of you might be interested in the
    conference in described below. I hope to present a paper there about
    some aspect of my own research on misbehavior in virtual communities,
    and would be interested in hearing by private email from any of you who
    might like to propose an all-Internet panel with me for this event. The
    MEA's website, BTW, is <http://www.media-ecology.org>

    Janet Sternberg
    Ph.D. Candidate
    Media Ecology Program, New York University
    <http://pages.nyu.edu/~js15>

    Call for Papers
    First Media Ecology Association Convention

    June 16-18, 2000 at Fordham University's Lincoln Center Campus in
    Manhattan

    What little technologies changed the course of history? What in the
    thinking of McLuhan, Mumford, Innis, Ong, Fuller, Ellul, Wiener, et al
    can help us make sense of today and tomorrow's worlds? Who is doing
    comparable thinking today? Does it make a difference if those thoughts
    are spoken at conferences, published in journals, available on web pages
    or listservs like this? To what degree are our media out of our
    control? Will MP3 recordings obsolesce the music business? Is DNA a
    digital medium?

    Send a 100-word abstract that delves into the above or any related
    topic to Paul Levinson at PaulLevinson@compuserve.com by April 1.
    Be prepared to jump into the fray with a 15-25 page paper on the subject
    by June 1. Let us know if you'd like to be a discussant for papers by
    other participants.

    Proposals for panels, roundtables, workshops, or other kinds of special
    sessions are also welcome.

    Join us we look around and take stock of ourselves, our media, and our
    discipline at the dawn of the new millennium (or the year before,
    depending upon your mathematical metaphysics).

    The Media Ecology Association was founded in 1998, as a way to organize,
    formalize, preserve, disseminate, and expand the study of how
    communications, media, and technology make a difference in our lives,
    our history, and our future. This will be our inaugural convention.

    Inquiries and submissions are preferred via e-mail to
    PaulLevinson@compuserve.com -- but can also be
    directed as follows:

          Professor Paul Levinson, Convention Coordinator
          Department of Communication and Media Studies
          Fordham University
          Bronx, New York 10458
          (718) 817-4863

    Please feel free to disseminate this notice -- by any and all media.