13.0305 school, course, conference, discussion

Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:08:41 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (51)
Subject: Rare Book School Winter/Spring Sessions

[2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (146)
Subject: 3 Day UCLA Extension Course in Document Imaging -
Document Management, Winter 2000

[3] From: Matt Kirschenbaum (88)
<mgk3k@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>
Subject: DAC2000 Call for Proposals (fwd)

[4] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (311)
Subject: LOOKSEE: opening discussion: Medical imaging and
humanities imaging

Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 22:35:58 +0000
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>

RARE BOOK SCHOOL
Winter/Spring Sessions 2000

Rare Book School (RBS) Winter and Spring Sessions 2000 offer various
five-day, non-credit courses on bookish subjects. These courses have all
been offered at RBS in the past, and they are identical in content to the
RBS summer session versions (for course evaluations, see the RBS Web site,
listed below). Students make a full-time commitment to any RBS course they
attend, from 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday-Friday; most students also attend an
informal dinner on the Sunday evening before their first class on Monday.
The tuition for each five-day Winter and Spring Session course is $640.
Reasonably-priced hotel accommodation is readily available nearby. For an
application form, write Rare Book School, 114 Alderman Library, University
of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2498; or fax 804/924-8824; or email
oldbooks@virginia.edu; or telephone 804/924-8851. Electronic copies of the
application form and other RBS documents can be accessed through our World
Wide Web site:

<http://www.virginia.edu/oldbooks>

MARCH 2000 SESSION
Monday 13 March - Friday 17 March 2000

22 ELECTRONIC TEXTS AND IMAGES. A practical exploration of the research,
preservation, editing, and pedagogical uses of electronic texts and images
in the humanities. The course will center around the creation of a set of
archival- quality etexts and digital images, for which we shall also
create an Encoded Archival Description guide. Topics include: SGML tagging
and conversion; using the Text Encoding Initiative Guidelines; the form
and implications of XML; publishing on the World Wide Web; and the
management and use of online texts. See
<http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/rbs/99> for details about last summer's
course. Some experience with HTML is a prerequisite for admission to the
course. Offered again in Week 4. Instructor: David Seaman.

This course will provide a wide-ranging and practical exploration of
electronic texts and related technologies. It is aimed primarily (although
not exclusively) at librarians and scholars keen to develop, use, publish,
and control electronic texts for library, research, or teaching purposes.
Drawing on the experience and resources available at UVa's Electronic Text
Center, the course will cover the following areas: how to create
archival-quality etexts, including digital image facsimiles; the necessity
of Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) for etext development and
use; the implications of XML; text analysis software; and the management
and use of Web-based SGML text databases. As a focus for our study of
etexts, the class will create an electronic version of an archival
document, mark its structure with SGML ("TEI") tagging, create digital
images of sample pages and illustrations, produce a hypertext version, and
make the results available on the Internet. Applicants need to have some
experience with the tagging of HTML documents. In their personal
statement, applicants should assess the extent of their present knowledge
of the electronic environment, and outline a project of their own to which
they hope to apply the skills learned in this course.

DAVID SEAMAN is the founding director of the nationally-known Electronic
Text Center and on-line archive at the University of Virginia. He lectures
and writes frequently on SGML, the Internet, and the creation and use of
electronic texts in the humanities.