13.0295 "to pay the penny"? Hacker's Ball?

Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 03:25:09 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Phyllis Wright <pwright@spartan.ac.brocku.ca> (16)
Subject: "to pay the penny"?

[2] From: Stefan Sinclair <4ss42@qsilver.queensu.ca> (14)
Subject: Hacker's Ball?

Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 08:11:49 +0000
From: Phyllis Wright <pwright@spartan.ac.brocku.ca>

Can someone provide the meaning for the phrase "to pay the penny" as used
in the following which I believe is from a translation of a sermon by Alfric.

"Verily from the eleventh hour the chief of the house [begged] to pay the
penny, when he led the thief into the kingdom of heaven, before he led
Peter or his other apostles, and rightly so, for the thief believed in
Christ at a time when his apostles were in great doubt".

Thanks so much,
Phyllis Wright
Phyllis M. Wright
Head, Reference & Information Services Department
James A. Gibson Library
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada L2S 3A1