13.0258 new on WWW: Suda On Line

Thu, 4 Nov 1999 19:43:39 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:29:45 -0500
From: "Patrick T. Rourke" <ptrourke@MEDIAONE.NET>
Subject: [STOA] The Suda On Line's Suda Classics

[I forward the following for your attention. It announces an addition to
the Suda On Line project, the objective of which is to publish the
Byzantine lexicon known as the Suda in such a way as to allow readers
access to its entries as they proceed through the editorial process. SOL
thus takes advantage of online publication in a way I have not seen
before, one that differs fundamentally from print-based publication as it
is usually done. The Suda is, of course, important in its own right; an
edition with translations and commentary is most welcome to many people
outside the domains of Byzantine and Classical scholarship. The publishing
design, however, extends to all large works whose preparation time keeps
them out of sight for a long period. It will be interesting to follow the
progress of the SOL to see how well its design suits its very demanding
audience. --WM]

[Apologies for cross-posting.]

The Suda On Line (SOL) presents Suda Classics - a weekly message featuring
the best of recent additions to the Suda On Line database of translations
from the Suda. For this first week, we'll be featuring an extract from
Marcelo Boeri's marvelous annotated translation of Suda lemma Tau 282 Adler,
"telos," "end." Use this url to look up the full translation entry in the
Suda On Line database (there should be no spaces):

http://www.stoa.org/sol-cgi-bin/search.pl?searchstr=tau,282&field=adlerhw_gr

<extract>
Telos, tau,282 [End]

End: "that for the sake of which", that is to say "the end", is twofold:
"that in view of which" and "that in view of whom"[1]. For instance, for the
builder the end as "that for the sake of which" is to produce a covering
preventive of rain and burning heat for us, for he produces such a covering
for us. Therefore, we are the builder's end in the sense of "that in view of
whom". The same thing can be considered with regard to all the things
constituted by nature as well. For example, desire for the divine, the
desire in virtue of which each animated thing makes itself a different
thing, is an end in the sense of "that in view of which". For generation is
in view of it. But since bodies become instruments for the souls, these are
ends in the sense of "that in view of whom" [2]. Thus nature is analogous to
the builder, who is a craftsman, and the soul becomes a covering for the man
giving commands, and the house for the body. But the end not only is twofold
("that in view of which" and "that in view of whom") in the case of animals
but also in the case of plants [. . . .]

Translated by: Marcelo Boeri
</extract>

After you've taken a look at the full entry, please feel free to forward any
comments to the SOL Managing Committee at the address below. Perhaps you'd
like to volunteer your services as an editor (vetting completed entries like
the above for possible improvements) or translator - some related entries
we'd like to see translated soon include hypotelis (Upsilon,603) and
demiourgei, demiourgoi (Delta 435,437). If you're interested in
volunteering as either a translator or an editor, please register at the SOL
website, http://www.stoa.org/sol/.

[Future mailings of Suda Classics will be made on Sunday evenings after 8:00
pm EST. With next week's mailing, we will provide you with a web address
where you'll be able to find previous weeks' Suda Classics. If you'd like to
receive these messages directly to your mailbox, or you'd like to suggest a
future Suda Classic feature translation, please contact the SOL Managing
Committee at the address below.]

Suda On Line - http://www.stoa.org/sol/ - sudatores@lsv.uky.edu
P. T. Rourke - ptrourke@mediaone.net

Humanist Discussion Group