13.0251 history of humanities computing? revision in public?

Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:48:25 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "Jan K. Rybicki" <strybick@cyf-kr.edu.pl> (5)
Subject: History of Humanities Computing

[2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (15)
Subject: revision in public

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:40:45 +0100
From: "Jan K. Rybicki" <strybick@cyf-kr.edu.pl>

Anyone:

Any suggestions for texts that deal with the (tempestuous) history of
Computing in the Humanities (especially with that of textual analysis)?

Jan Rybicki
Pedagogical Academy
Krakow, Poland

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 20:41:24 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

I suspect that what I call "revision in public" is becoming commonplace but
is perhaps worth our notice. I have found myself on several occasions now
self-publishing an essay or talk online, drawing it to the attention of
friends and colleagues, then revising it as comments come in and inspire
changes. When the published piece is discursive rather that, say, a list of
items, I find it utterly impractical to signal the changes in any way other
than to specify the revision date, usually at the top. As one would expect,
revisions tend to cluster in the early days of circulation, then taper off.

How many of us do that with our own work? Is it an effective pedagogical
technique in a writing class? What implications does it hold for how we work?

WM
Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 848 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 848 5081
<Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> <http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/>
maui gratia

Humanist Discussion Group