13.0217 Greek & Sanskrit

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:24:55 +0100 (BST)

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:45:32 +0100
From: Chiara & Federico <fedechiara@edisons.it>
Subject: R: 13.0194 clarifications: Greek-Sanskrit; edge-finding?

-----Messaggio Originale-----
Da: Humanist Discussion Group <humanist@kcl.ac.uk>
A: Humanist Discussion Group <humanist@lists.Princeton.EDU>
Data invio: domenica 19 settembre 1999 16.25

> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 13, No. 194.
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
> <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
> <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
>
> [1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (8)
> >
> [2] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (18)
> Subject: edge-finding
>

> --[1]------------------------------------------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:18:58 +0100
> From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Greek-Sanskrit isoglosses
>
> I am not quite sure what you mean by isoglosses, Chiara. If you mean
> cognates, such things as Skt. pitar :: Gk. pater `father', a look into any
> of the comparative Sanskrit grammars, e.g. Wackernagel, Thumb, would yield
> hundreds of isoglosses. Ditto for any of the comparative Greek grammars,
> e.g. C. D. Buck. An easier way to gather sets of isoglosses between Greek
> and Sanskrit might be to look in: Carl Darling Buck, _A Dictionary of
> Selected Synonyms in the Principal Indo-European Languages_ (University of
> Chicago Press, 1949).
> Jim Marchand.

Thank you so much for your answer, Mr Marchand. The couple of words you
wrote is an isogloss (is an European concept, from Trubeckoj, 1939, I
think), from a lexical point of view. What I am looking for is the deep
connection between Greek and Sanskrit, according with a componential model
of linguistics genesis (If you are intrested I will be glad to talk about
this, anyway see the paper of A.Ancillotti in Journal of Indo-European
Studies, 1993). The most important isoglosses for this aim are the
morphological ones, like -tero Skr. -teros Gr. used for comparatives. I
consulted several comparative grammars, but I wonder if a specific
publications exists (something new compared whith Wackernagel, Brugmann,
Thumb...) or if there is someone intrested on the argument of my degree. I'm
sorry for my english: I am a bit out of practice...
Chiara Fardella

Humanist Discussion Group