13.0197 new on WWW: MHG Conceptual Database; article on computing

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:19:00 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Klaus Schmidt <schmidt@BGNET.BGSU.EDU> (60)
Subject: New Middle High German Conceptual Database (MHDBDB)

[2] From: Charles Muller <acmuller@human.toyogakuen-u.ac.jp> (14)
Subject: Media Revolution: Article

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:09:16 +0100
From: Klaus Schmidt <schmidt@BGNET.BGSU.EDU>

[This information will be sent simultaneously to the following lists:
ARTHURNET, GERLINGL, MEDIAEVISTIK, MEDTEXTL. Therefore, please, excuse us,
if you receive the following text several times!]

Dear subscribers of ARTHURNET,

we would like to direct your attention to the new version of the Middle
High German Conceptual Database (MHDBDB), which has been accessible since
September 1, 1999 under the following URL:

http://mhdbdb.bgsu.edu:7700

MHDBDB is the result of a long-time close cooperation between the following
two long-range projects:

Names in medieval German Literary Texts
(University of Kiel/Germany: Prof. Dr. F. Debus (until spring 1998) and
Dr. Horst P. Puetz)

The Conceptual Dictionary of Medieval German Literature
(Bowling Green State University: Prof. Dr. Klaus M. Schmidt)

For twenty-five years, both projects have created and stored electronic
texts of MHG standard editions. Joining the two projects has resulted in
the largest electronic text archive of medieval German literature.
Moreover, Klaus M. Schmidt and Horst P. Puetz, along with their assistants,
have created a very complex and powerful information retrieval system for
on-line access. This menu-driven retrieval system, which had to be accessed
via a TELNET connection, had been in operation since 1994. It had seen more
than 2000 users during a five year period, although it was still somewhat
cumbersome to use, as it was based on now outdated database technology.

The host-computer, OPIE at Bowling Green State University, which had housed
MHDBDB, went off-line on August 2, 1999.

Since this development had been anticipated, a completely new and all
Web-driven database(running on ORACLE) has been developed, which has gone
into service on September 1, 1999, although some of the modules are still
under construction.
It can be accessed through a simple mouse click from any current standard
browser via the revised old MHDBDB-Homepage:

http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/greal/MHDBDB.html

There you will also find additional information on the database and an
introduction to the use of the information retrieval system.

When you log in you can use your own name as USERNAME and you may set your
own password. Absolute confidentiality is guaranteed and addresses are
passed on only upon the consent of the individual user.

Please, keep in mind that the texts, which are integrated with MHDBDB,
reflect different stages of editorial processing. The greater portion of
the epic texts has only been partially lemmatized and integrated with the
system of conceptual categories. Only about 30 texts have been fully
integrated.

We are very interested in your feedback and suggestions for improvement,
and we hope that with MHDBDB we are providing you with a useful tool for
research in the area of medieval German literature in particular as well as
for medieval studies in general. We will conduct an introductory workshop
on the use of MHDBDB as a research tool at the International Medieval
Congress in Kalamazoo in spring 2000. Until then we wish you the best
success for your studies.

Klaus M. Schmidt Horst P. Puetz
schmidt@bgnet.bgsu.edu puetz@germsem.uni-kiel.de

Dr. Klaus M. Schmidt, Professor
Director, Middle High German Conceptual Database (MHDBDB)
http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/greal/MHDBDB.html
Dept. of GREAL
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0219