13.0112 new on WWW: Goody texts; embedded multimedia journals

Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:44:04 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk> (31)
Subject: Goody Texts of Bagre myth now online

[2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (42)
Subject: M-Bed(sm): A Registry of Embedded Multimedia
Electronic Journals

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:47:55 +0100
From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk>

I am pleased to be able to present an online version of Jack Goody's Bagre
texts. They are transcripts of texts that he reorded in Ghana in 1969. They
have been made available here with the permission of Professor Goody.

In the late 1960s Goody was among those pioneering the anthropological use of
computer assisted textual analysis. The results were published in 1972 by OUP.
In a report to the SSRC (the forerunner of the UK ESRC) Goody and Duly
reported on this work and on a pioneering experiment on the preserving of
fieldnotes through digisation. Sadly I have to report that those files
cannot be
traced!

Refs:
Goody, J.R. 1972. <i>The Myth of the Bagre</i>). Oxford: Oxford University
Press.
Goody, J.R. and C. Duly. 1981. <i>Studies in the use of Computers in Social
Anthropology (report to the SSRC).</i>.

<B>Note</B> the files have been modified as little as possible in order
that they be
readable in some fashion via the WWW as it exist in Mid 1999.

The files are presented in their entirety - guidance is given about their
sizes as some are quite big.

David z

Dr David Zeitlyn,
Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology,
Centre for Social Anthropology and Computing,
Department of Anthropology,
Eliot College, The University of Kent,
Canterbury,
CT2 7NS, UK.