13.0011 new on WWW: streaming video; amusements, MI6 and....

Thu, 13 May 1999 20:36:45 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (104)
Subject: White Paper on Streaming Video Technology

[2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (39)
Subject: online amusements, tools and serious consequences

Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 20:33:58 +0100
From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
May 12, 1999

WHITE PAPER ON VIDEO-ON-DEMAND
"Digital Video for the Next Millenium"

<http://sunsite.utk.edu/video>http://sunsite.utk.edu/video

Apologies for any repeat posting: the following is from the list of the
Coalition for Networked Information on a very interesting paper on current
video-on-demand methodologies, standards, vendor offerings, and future
developments, with links to current state-of-the-art offerings.

David Green
===========

>Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 08:40:27 -0700
>From: Clifford Lynch <cliff@cni.org>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <cni-announce@cni.org>
>>

>There is an excellent new paper on streaming video and video on demand
>technology up on the site vide.utk.edu; for those who haven't seen it,
>there's also a very helpful cookbook on video conferencing that was
>released a few months ago. The press release below provides more
>background on the paper and the video initiative.
>
>Clifford
>

>ANNOUNCEMENT: VIDE WHITE PAPER ON VIDEO-ON-DEMAND
>
>The Video Development Initiative (ViDe) was established in March 1998 to
>promote and develop functional, standards-based and scalable video systems
>for use in the higher education environment. ViDe is composed of
>representatives from The Georgia Institute of Technology, The University
>of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville,
>and North Carolina State University. NYSERNet (New York State, Educational
>and Research Network) also partnered with ViDe in Phase 1 (August 1, 1998
>- April 1, 1999).
>
>Phase 1 of this multi-year initiative was funded by the Southeastern
>Universities Research Association (SURA) to focus ViDe efforts on the
>promotion of digital video among the 44 SURA member institutions. Two
>deliverables were prepared in Phase I: A Video Conferencing Cookbook
>and a White Paper on Video-on-Demand.
>
>The white paper, "Digital Video for the Next Millenium," is now accessible
>at <http://sunsite.utk.edu/video>http://sunsite.utk.edu/video (a pdf
version is
also available at this
>URL), and presents an overview of current video-on-demand methodologies,
>standards, vendor offerings, and future developments. Responses to the

>RFI released by ViDe to the video system vendor community in September

>1998 are included. The online edition of "Digital Video for the Next
>Millenium" also links to examples of streaming video applications at
>various institutions nationally. For more information, contact Grace
>Agnew of GIT, author of the white paper and ViDe video-on-demand
>technical lead (grace.agnew@library.gatech.edu).
>
>The Video Conferencing Cookbook (Version 1.0) was released to both the
>SURA and NYSERNet memberships on February 15, and includes practical steps
>for getting started with desktop video conferencing, a summary of current
>vendor offerings, and more advanced functionalities and management. The
>cookbook is accessible online at
<http://sunsite.utk.edu/video_cookbook/>http://sunsite.utk.edu/video_cookboo
k/.

<http://vide.utk.edu>http://vide.utk.edu
<http://www.sura.org>http://www.sura.org
<http://www.nysernet.org>http://www.nysernet.org

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

>Ms. Mairead Martin maireadm@utk.edu
>Network Information Consultant Tel: (423) 974-6454
>Telecommunications & Network Services Fax: (423) 974-2622
>The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
<http://www.ninch.org>http://www.ninch.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/nin
ch-announce/>.