12.0601 behaviour in the room

Sat, 1 May 1999 08:21:19 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> (26)
Subject: Re: 12.0599 behaviour & everything else

[2] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (33)
Subject: text, rooms, brooms

[3] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (27)
Subject: Chinese Room parable

Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 07:38:25 +0100
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

Willard:

I submitted your e-mail to my Chinese room bot. This is what came out:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Chinese Room-Text:
None the wiser, not less wise
For pondering it.

What words signify
On a spring day, depends on
The order of spring.

Whether we expect
Question, or only answer,
Questions our answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't tell whether it's "conscious" or not.

--Wendell

(BTW, for those of us whose memory is hazy, or locked in a room: could
you relate to us the parable, or at least a version for purposes of this
discussion?)

Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285