12.0558 guidelines

Sat, 17 Apr 1999 19:27:19 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 19:28:50 +0100
From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>
Subject: Re: 12.0552 guidelines

> --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:48:25 +0100
> From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
> >
> I have only a couple of remarks. The problem of peer review (gatekeepers of
> science topos) is insurmountable; most people think we must have it. The
> problem is that none of the people in my department would be able to judge
> work in computers, since they use the computer mostly as a typewriter, with
> some network involvement. Not to badmouth my own department, this would be
> true of most departments I know of.

Jim, that's of course a problem in all fields....not only was there no one
in my English Department who knew anything about my research, there was no
one in the whole University who knew anything about it either. One falls
back on the Gilbert & Sullivan solution

If this young man expresses himself in terms too deep for _me_,
Why what a very singularly deep young man this deep young man must be.
(Patience)

(I will refrain, while gritting my teeth, from applying this to some of our
leading Theorists.)

> (I entirely agree about concordances, having made a whole bunch of them as
> adjuncts to other work, not as separate things to be reported to one's
> Committee)

> "In point of fact, when a young man enters a large business or industry {read
> university, JWM}, filled with zeal, he imagines that above him there is an
> Ordered World; but as he climbs the ladder and reaches the giddy heights of
> Administration, only then does he slowly come to realize that the `machinery'
> may be very nebulous -- an affair jerked along by clash of personalities and
> given momentum by ambitions."

Another magnificent metaphor for the upper reaches of Administration, in school
and out, is Peer Gynt peeling an onion.

Humanist Discussion Group