12.0556 performances; IT fluency report

Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:51:27 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (118)
Subject: Two New York City performances: April 20, May 8

[2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (142)
Subject: New CSTB Report: "Being Fluent with Information
Technology."

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 20:52:33 +0100
From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
April 14, 1999

Bernd Alois Zimmermann, Requiem for a Young Poet
April 20, 1999, Carnegie Hall, New York City
http://www.carnegiehall.org/requiem

Modern-Day Leonardo in Performance: Jaron Lanier
May 8, 1999, Cooper Union, New York City
http://www.asci.org/cyberart99/Jaron.html

Departing from custom, I am posting two announcements of performances, as I
thought they would interest readers of this list.

David Green
===========

>From: Carnegie Hall <launch@carnegiehall.revnetexpress.net>
>> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:47:31 -0500

In conjunction with the U. S. Premiere of Bernd Alois Zimmermann's
monumental "Requiem for a Young Poet" (1967 - 69) on April 20th at Carnegie
Hall:

Requiem for a Young Poet
http://www.carnegiehall.org/requiem
produced in collaboration with Vivian Selbo

To introduce this complex work, with its use of multi-media and layering of
texts, we've created a special area on our site with bios, program notes, a
synopsis, and the complete libretto. We've also commissioned a unique art
project, the "requiem animations."

Using ascii art and fragments of text and sound clips from the original,
the requiem animations adapt Zimmermann's work for the web, playfully
echoing its concern with language, layering, and juxtaposition. Zimmermann
called his Requiem a "lingual," with reference to Wittgenstein, placing not
only singing and speaking on the same plane, but also sound, music, and the
images and ideas evoked by them.

Steeped in the panoramic literary, political, and historical influences of
the 1960s, Zimmermann's Requiem features sources as varied as recordings of
Alexander Dubcek and Joseph Stalin, texts by Mao and Mayakovsky, and
musical quotations -- both live and on tape -- ranging from Beethoven to
the Beatles.

The April 20th performance, with the Southwest Radio Symphony Orchestra
Freiburg led by conductor Michael Gielen, calls for three choirs, two vocal
soloists, two speakers, a jazz combo, an orchestra without violins, and
loudspeakers distributed around the auditorium. Zimmermann's aim was to
place the listener in the center of a thought-provoking setting that would
highlight the world in all its complexity.

To purchase specially discounted tickets, please call CarnegieCharge at
(212) 247-7800, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM, and tell them you saw the offer online
(balcony tickets excluded).
For ticket info and availability, visit the concert calendar at:
http://www.carnegiehall.org/cgi-bin/carnegie/viewevent.cgi?key=001220&from=%2fcg
i-bin%2fcarnegie%2fcalendar.cgi&x=74&y=6
Tune to National Public Radio's Morning Edition on Friday, April 16 for a
special feature on Zimmermann's Requiem (check your local NPR station for
program times). In the New York area, that's 93.9 WNYC FM , where you can
also hear the feature on New Sounds with John Schaefer, Thursday, April 15
at 11:00 PM - midnight.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

X->Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:25:11 -0400
> To: asci@asci.org
> From: "Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)" <asci@asci.org>
> Subject: Modern-Day Leonardo in Performance... in NYC on May 8th !

IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Cynthia Pannucci /ASCI

Modern-Day Leonardo in Performance
May 8, 1999 at 8pm
The Great Hall at Cooper Union, NYC
7 E. 7th Street @3rd Ave.
(tickets $20 @ door: 6-8pm)
http://www.asci.org/cyberart99/Jaron.html

Jaron Lanier, the musician and scientist who coined the term "Virtual
Reality" brings two loves of his life, music and technology, together in a
new form of live performance. This benefit event for Art & Science
Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI), a New York-based, international non-profit
organization, will take place in the Great Hall at The Cooper Union,
Saturday, May 8 at 8pm. (tickets on sale from 6-8pm)

Although he is a composer and musician rather than a sculptor like
Leonardo, as a scientist, he pioneered the development of Virtual Reality.
In his current research work at Advanced Network & Services in Armonk, NY,
he acts as a catalyst bringing together recognized experts in virtual
reality and networking to identify the issues and develop plans to build a
national tele-immersive research infrastructure. With the goal of
accelerating the development of better tools for research and educational
collaboration, this plan will be woven into the fabric of many of the Next
Generation Internet applications. http://www.advanced.org/teleimmersion.html

"Echoes of Chromatophoria," combines deep use of virtual worlds with a
multicultural aesthetic. What "deep" means is that the use of Virtual
Reality isn't just a gimmick. In this multimedia performance work, virtual
musical instruments that couldn't exist in reality are played, and "real"
instruments become sophisticated interfaces to the exotic 3-D images of his
virtual world.

In this performance, Jaron will make use of Virtual Worlds developed for
last year's appearance by his group Chromatophoria at the Montreux Jazz
Festival in Switzerland. He will play a variety of instruments, including
the Ba Wu, Seljeflote, Gu Zheng, Khaen, and Disklavier piano. A variety of
sensors connect these to Silicon Graphics-based 3-D images that are
projected real-time on a large-screen video display.

About the name: "Chromatophoria" comes form Jaron's love and admiration of
the Giant Cuttlefish, creatures that communicate by displaying luminous,
quickly changing, colorful images all over their bodies. Chromatophores
are the color-changing cells found in the Cuttlefish's skin that act as
pixels.

Jaron on the web: http://www.advanced.org/jaron
This event is produced by ASCI and Cooper Union Adult Education and with
the additional support of: YAMAHA, Theatrical Services & Supplies/PROXIMA,
Silicon Graphics, and A's Wave.

Cynthia Pannucci
Founder/Director
Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)
****Celebrating its 11th Year****

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
http://www.ninch.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.