12.0535 conferences: ACH/ALLC, IAHC

Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:51:00 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (79)
Subject: CONFERENCE: Assoc. for Computers & the Humanities

[2] From: "Welling G.M." <welling@let.rug.nl> (16)
Subject: 1999 IAHC conference in Groningen (Netherlands)

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:51:42 +0100
From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
April 1, 1999

1999 Conference of the Association for Computers & the Humanities
and the Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing
http://www.iath.virginia.edu/ach-allc.99/schedule.html
June 9-13: Charlottesville, VA

April 1 Deadline for Non-Member Low-Cost Registration ($175)
http://www.iath.virginia.edu/ach-allc.99/forms/register.shtml

I would encourage all readers to consider attendance at this year's
conference of the Association for Computers & the Humanities, held in
conjunction with the Europe-based Association for Literary and Linguistic
Computing, at the University of Virginia, Charlottesville.

This annual conference has broadened its appeal and, following this
announcement of the conference, drawn from the website, I have taken the
liberty of showing a selection of the program to give a sense of this
evolving association.

David Green
===========

"The 1999 joint annual conference of the Association for Computers and the
Humanities and the Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing will
take place from June 9-13 at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville,
Virginia, and will be hosted by the Electronic Text Center, the Institute
for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, and the The Instructional
Technology Group of ITC (Information Technology and Communication). Program
and schedule information are posted now, and online registration with
secure credit card transactions is available.

"If you're a publisher, software vendor, or hardware vendor, and you would
like to reserve space for an exhibit at the conference, please contact John
Alexander <mailto:john@virginia.edu>.

"Some of those registering for this conference may also be interested in
the Summer Publishing Institute (June 13-19, 1999),
<http://uvace.virginia.edu/cup/publishing/pcsummer_institute.htm> an
intensive week-long seminar that will explore the new technologies
transforming the publishing industry."

=========

PROGRAM INCLUDES (among over 60 papers and panels):

Andrew Mactavish, Joanne Buckley, and Geoffrey M. Rockwell, "Building a
Place for Multimedia Studies in the Humanities"

Willard McCarty, "Thinking with markup: the case of personification."

Adrian Miles, "Pedagogy goes to the movies: hypermedia in the cinema class
room."

PANEL: "Intellectual Problems in Scholarly Encoding," Harold Short, Chair

Celia Duffy and Tony Pearson,"Networking Moving Images."

Mary W. Elings and Eva Garcelon, "Expanding the Community: The Museums and
the Online Archive of California (MOAC) Project."

Matthew Kirschenbaum, Johanna Drucker, Jerome J. McGann, Worthy Martin, and
Joseph Viscomi, PANEL: "Refining Our Notions of What (Digital) Images
Really Are."

Charles B. Faulhaber, "The Digital Scriptorium: A Visual Union Catalog of
Medieval Manuscripts."

Jerome P. McDonough, "The Making of America II: A Standardized Architecture
for the Digitization of Primary Sources."

Susan Hockey, Allen Renear, and Jerome J. McGann, PANEL: "What is text? A
debate on the philosophical and epistemological nature of text in the light
of humanities computing research."

Judith Thomas, "Meaning and Metadata: Managing Information in a Digital
Image Reference Collection for the Humanities."

Ray Siemens, "The Pragmatics of Publishing a Scholarly Electronic Journal."

Carole L. Palmer and Laura J. Neumann, "Interdisciplinary Humanities
Scholars and Hybrid Information Environments."

ACH Panel: "Humanities Computing and the Rise of New Media Studies: Synergy
or Disjunction?"

David R. Chesnutt and Charles B. Lowry, PANEL: Scholars, Librarians, and
Publishers: Stake-Holders in Digital Libraries.

Grazyna Cooper, Paul Groves, Peter Karas, and Sarah Porter, PANEL (4
papers): "Initiate, Innovate, Collaborate: A New Model for Humanities
Computing Teaching and Resource Development."

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
http://www.ninch.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.