12.0526 the Y2K problem

Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:43:46 +0100 (BST)

Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 18:26:04 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: Y2K

The following is an article (quoted in full) on the year-2000 bug.
Recirculated with permission, providing I provide the following statement:
"This information was provided by Executive Software, maker of Diskeeper and
Undelete for Windows NT. Visit their web site at www.executive.com.
<http://www.executive.com.> "

Comments welcome.

WM

-----
> Windows NT* Technical Article
> The Y2K Problem
>

>"The Y2K Problem," as I understand it, is the unanticipated malfunction of a
>computer due to a two-digit date in the year 2000 being misconstrued as the
>corresponding month and day in the year 1900. The problem can be divided
>into two categories: (1) the malfunction of your own computers and (2) the
>malfunction of others' computers on which you depend.
>
>The first priority should be to determine whether or not there really is a
>problem. For your own computers, this can be done by direct inspection:
>
>First, carefully backup all the data on a computer. Then,
>
>(a) Sometime outside normal production hours, change the computer's
>system date to 31 Dec 1999 at 11:55 PM.
>(b) Observe the computer as the date ticks over to 1 Jan 2000 and note
>whether it continues to function normally.
>(c) After the date ticks over to the year 2000, try shutting down the
>computer and see if it will boot.
>(d) One at a time, run each of your production applications as if you
>were doing the normal processing that is done on that computer and note
>whether the application functions normally or not.
>(e) For any application that fails, obtain a fix from the vendor of that
>application or find a replacement application that is Y2K-compliant. Then
>retest.
>(f) When you have finished testing, set the date and time back to the
>current date.
>
>These very simple steps will result in a computer that is extremely unlikely
>to suffer from "the Y2K problem."
>
>For computers on which you depend but which are out of your direct control,
>such as those of your banks, your suppliers, and so on, contact the company
>directly and request from them a certificate of Y2K compliance. An example
>of such a certificate can be found at the Executive Software web site
>http://www.executive.com/year2OOO.htm
><http://www.executive.com/year2000.htm> . Such a certificate is the minimum
>assurance that your supplier will continue to provide needed goods and
>services after December 31st. For critical suppliers, of course, you should
>personally interview them on their state of preparedness and judge for
>yourself whether you should depend on that supplier, arrange a backup
>supplier, or switch suppliers altogether.
>
>As you can see, these measures are simple and not particularly
>time-consuming. So what's all the fuss about? Well, this is the point
>where I have to go beyond what I know to be true and into what I merely
>suspect to be true.
>
>I have never seen a computer problem attributable to a date beyond 1999, nor
>have I heard a rational explanation of any serious problem with any computer
>attributable to Y2K. There must be such problems in some computers
>somewhere, but I have seen no evidence of them. Just to put that point into
>perspective, I have a dozen computers in use in my home, hundreds in the
> [...]
Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5081
<Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> <http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/>
maui gratia

Humanist Discussion Group