12.0516 feedback on Making of America?

Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:13:31 +0000 (BST)

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:02:20 +0000
From: Maria Bonn <mbonn@umich.edu>
Subject: Redesigned Making of America invites feedback

Since 1997 the University of Michigan Making of America project
(http://www.umdl.umich.edu/moa), a collection of primary source materials
in 19th cnetury American social history, has been widely used and well
received by professional and amateur scholars of American history and
culture all over the world.

Over the past several months the University of Michigan Digital Library
Production Service (DLPS), which is responsible for the production and
implementation of the Making of America, has redesigned and improved
several aspects of the Making of America system, including adding search
possibilities, improving navigation, and making available the plain text
of the page images that make up the MoA collection.

DLPS would like to invite testing of the new system before we replace the
old system entirely. The revised Making of America can be found at
http://www.umdl.umich.edu/moa.new. Please try it out and let us know what
you think and if you encounter problems by contacting us at
moa-feedback@umich.edu. The redesign of the system is an important step
in preparing for the addition of another 7500 volumes to the collection
over the next two years, so we are particularly anxious to get feedback
from users.

Please note that we're in the final stages of revising the system, so you
may see small changes, especially in explanatory and help text, if you
make repeated visits to the site.

We hope you enjoy the site, and we welcome all suggestions.

Maria S. Bonn
Digital Library Program Development Librarian
Digital Library Initiative
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

mbonn@umich.edu