12.0469 basic problems

Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:19:50 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (49)
Subject: return to basic problems

[2] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (34)
Subject: Method in Text Analysis

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:19:23 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

In Humanist 12.346 I suggested (echoing David Hilbert's 1900 address in
Paris, "Mathematische Probleme") that,

>one good way of understanding what our field is, in
>particular the quality of its intellectual integrity,
>would be to identify the basic scholarly problems with
>which it is engaged or should engage.

We didn't seem to get very far. Let me pose my problem again, but this time
take a different approach, namely to request identification by field of
application of the one problem with which we think the computer is most
likely to make a significant scholarly difference in, say, the next 20-30 years.

What would the problems be for

1. anthropology
2. archaeology
3. art history
4. classics
5. cultural studies
6. film studies
7. history
8. linguistics
9. literary studies (all modern languages)
10. music
11. pedagogy (including education)
12. philology
13. philosophy
14. religious studies (including biblical scholarship)
15. theatre studies

In his paper (online at
<http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/hilbert/problems.html>, in translation)
Hilbert noted that, "It is difficult and often impossible to judge the value
of a problem correctly in advance; for the final award depends upon the gain
which science obtains from the problem. Nevertheless we can ask whether there
are general criteria which mark a good mathematical problem." He identified
two: the theory that formulates it must be clear and easily comprehended,
and it must be difficult enough to challenge us, yet not seem utterly
impossible to solve. That is, we need fundamental problems that will take us
forward, not confuse or confound us. What might these be?

We also need problems that do not simply belong to computer science, such as
automatic analysis of images to identify their contents, though there are
undoubtedly real problems for humanities computing involved in such an
effort. On the other side, we don't want problems that simply belong to one
of the non-technical disciplines, such as the identification of a painting
as a forgery.

Your suggestions please.

Yours,
WM

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5081
<Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> <http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/>
maui gratia