12.0461 what's interesting about this quotation isn't new...

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:29:07 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (6)
Subject: Re: 12.0460 quotation? images?

[2] From: Randall Jones <rljones@email.byu.edu> (6)
Subject: Re: source of quotation

[3] From: Jack Lynch <jlynch@andromeda.rutgers.edu> (16)

[4] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (5)
Subject: quotation

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:59:06 +0000
From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>

I have this version:

"What is valuable is not new, and what is new is not valuable",

attributed to Henry Peter Brougham, Baron Brougham and Vaux, in _The
Edinburgh Review_, 1802, in a review of _The Work of Thomas Young_.

(I assume this Thomas Young is the 18th-19th c. English scientist
(medicine, physics, Egyptology), not the Scottish theologian of more
than a century earlier.)