12.0450 WP->HTML? history syllabi?

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:11:05 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (18)
Subject: WP -> HTML

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (60)
Subject: Syllabi Central: U.S. Survey Syllabi (R. Rosenzweig

Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:07:06 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

Yesterday I was asked what I use to convert wordprocessed files into HTML;
my answer was that I don't, because I don't have to handle volumes of
material and so find it as convenient to html-ize by hand. I've looked at
the output of some WP-to-HTML converters but not been encouraged by the
quality of code that I have seen. I like to produce as readable code as I
can, e.g. by using indenting to denote the levels of nested lists; I haven't
seen any converter that would do that.

What is the current state of this art for both Mac OS and Windows? Are there
any truly WYSIWYG wordprocessors that can produce good HTML?

Thanks.

Yours,
WM

Dr. Willard McCarty
Senior Lecturer, Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London / Strand / London WC2R 2LS
+44 (0)171 873 2784 voice; 873 5081 fax
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/
maui gratia