12.0437 millennarian topoi, poor scholarship &c.

Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:34:15 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Tim Reuter <T.Reuter@soton.ac.uk> (27)
Subject: millennarian topoi

[2] From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk> (22)
Subject: Re: HUMANIST 12.0430

[3] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us> (26)
Subject: Re: 12.0430 comments on various discussions

[4] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@pop.ucla.edu> (13)

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:28:06 +0000
From: Tim Reuter <T.Reuter@soton.ac.uk>

> Without these instruments of providence we would have nothing to match the
> fear of Armageddon that haunted humanity at the first millenial
> transition.

If I had a fiver for every time I've seen a repetition of
statements like the above, which ultimately derive from mid-C19
scholarship, I could pay off much of my mortgage; but as a
medievalist, I must demur. There is some evidence that some
people anticipated the world's end at the end of the 990s (and,
logically enough, also as 1033 approached) -- but much of the
anticipation was hopeful as well as fearful. There is also good
reason to suppose that a lot of people did not either hope or
fear, and personally I'd put the proportion of those who did at
something not significantly higher than it is today.

More in a shortly forthcoming issue of
<I>M&eacute;di&eacute;vales</I> on 'L'an mil -- l'an deux mil',
including a lengthy debate on this between Patrick Geary, Richard
Landes, Amy Remensnyder and myself, moderated by Barbara
Rosenwein.

Tim Reuter

# Tim Reuter
# Department of History, University of Southampton
# Southampton SO17 1BJ
# T +44 1703 594868 (w) 552623 (h)
# F +44 1703 593458
# email T.Reuter@soton.ac.uk