12.0433 family trees? keyboarding?

Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:03:09 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (15)
Subject: on-line family trees

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (18)
Subject: Shared Keyboarding Contract

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:52:29 +0000
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>

>> From: David J Birnbaum <djbpitt+@pitt.edu>

Dear Humanists,

Can anyone provide any advice (and pointers to examples) for encoding a
large family tree for web delivery? On the one hand, there are many
generations and many children of each marriage. On the other hand, the
display should be visible in a single screen. Since these two features
lead to conflict, I'm thinking of a javascript approach, which would allow
the viewer to expand and collapse individual pieces of the tree, and which
would also allow me to encode some information in mouse-over-controlled
pop-up windows. But before I begin coding I'd like to be confident that
I've chosen the best strategy for representation, and I'd be grateful for
any advice. Please respond by private email to djb@clover.slavic.pitt.edu.

Thanks,

David J. Birnbaum
University of Pittsburgh