12.0419 transforming the possibilities

Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:05:04 +0000 (BST)

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:09:35 +0000
From: "A. Jenn Sondheim" <sondheim@panix.com>
Subject: Re: 12.0416 transforming the possibilities

That in fact our knowledge of books and computers may actually interfere
with our knowledge of the phenomenological horizon of the manuscript. It's
impossible for us to comprehend a world in which _every sign_ was written
by hand; we take for granted even the logos on our computers, advertising
on our pens and pencils. Instead of looking at the irreducibly modern, it
is well to negate that, at least as an exercise; otherwise we are doomed
to perception through the currency of contemporary apparatus.

Alan

Humanist Discussion Group