12.0402 more first things

Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:14:11 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (28)
Subject: First Things: Attribution

[2] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (18)
Subject: Re: 12.0392 translation, interpretation, play

[3] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (54)

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 22:06:25 +0000
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

One of the first things we do in the humanities, indeed as human beings in
general, is attribution and its flip-side athetization, and much of our ink
is spilt in applying these two operations, usually together. We attribute to
author: "Bacon wrote a great deal of Shakespeare," at the same time
athetizing from Shakespeare. We attribute to dialect: "Wolfram's Parzival is
written in the Bavarian dialect." We attribute to time: "The manuscript is of
the first ten minutes of the 12th century." We attribute to concept: William
Dray, "`Explaining What' in History," _Theories of History_, ed. Patrick
Gardiner (Glencoe, IL: Free Press, 1959), 403: "Ramsey Muir observes: `It was
not merely an economic change {athetization, JWM} that was thus beginning; it
was a social revolution {attribution, JWM}.'"

Sometimes this operation is obscured by the language in which it is couched:
"Did Yiddish come from German or is it from a Romance stock?" "What we have
here is a typical example of acyrologia." "Hitler was not a psychopath."

Sometimes this operation is blurred by the language in which it is couched
(fuzzy concepts): "Medieval man believed in a flat earth." "In the Greece of
Homer's day ..." "Kissing the shoulder is de rigueur in Arabic countries (or
Arabic-speaking countries) even today." "Medieval Iceland is a typical
example of an incapsulated culture."

The last example shows in how facile a manner concepts can be used. What is
an "incapsulated culture?" Can anyone given an example? If so, what is there
about MI which would make a candidate for attribution to this concept?

Very little has been written on this operation. In fact, one frequently gets
blank stares when one uses the word `athetize', though one might expect such
a common operation to have many words by Marchand's Perversion of Zipf's Law.
But there is also Marchand's Correlation to the Perversion of Zipf's Law:
That which is used all the time is not spoken of very little if at all.

!
Jim Marchand.