12.0245 retrieval for music, multimedia

Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:04:31 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu> (57)
Subject: Re: 12.0240 retrieval for music, multimedia?

[2] From: James Bower <JBower@getty.edu> (68)
Subject: Re: Music Retrieval Tools

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 13:22:20 -0400
From: John Unsworth <jmu2m@virginia.edu>

I referred the question from Humanist 12.0240 concerning "tools for musical
data retrieval" to Perry Roland, in the Library's Digital Media and Music
Center. Here's his reply:

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 11:32:37 -0800
From: James Bower <JBower@getty.edu>

statements" about the need for retrieval tools for music and
multimedia, I would refer him to the document, "Research Agenda for
Networked Cultural Heritage," published by the Getty Art History
Information Program (now Getty Information Institute) in 1996. Among
the eight sponsored research papers, those by Gary Marchionini
("Resource Search and Discovery") and Donna Romer ("Image and
Multimedia Retrieval") refer directly to the need for such tools. In
addition, there are potentially useful references larded throughout
the introductory Overview and Discussion Points.

The full text of the publication is available on the Information
Institute's web site at <www.gii.getty.edu/ranch>.

James M. Bower
Head, Institutional Relations
Getty Information Institute
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles CA 90049-1680

==========
>Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:50:36 +0100 (BST)
>From: Humanist Discussion Group <humanist@kcl.ac.uk>
>>
> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 12, No. 240.
> Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
> <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
> <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
>
> Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:35:22 +0100 (BST)
> From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
> Subject: retrieval tools for music, multimedia?
>
>A colleague not on Humanist is attempting to make the case "that
>tools for musical data-retrieval are urgently needed by the academic and
>commercial communities (everything from scholarly thematic catalogues to
>copyright infringement control, etc, etc)." He notes that anecdotal
>evidence is not lacking but needs "a reference to some authoritative
>statement that there is a lack of useful content-based search and
>data-retrieval tools for music (or for multimedia in general)."
>
>Does anyone on Humanist know of such a statement? Please reply to
the group.

>Many thanks.
>
>Yours,
>WM

>Dr. Willard McCarty
>Senior Lecturer, Centre for Computing in the Humanities
>King's College London / Strand / London WC2R 2LS
>+44 (0)171 873 2784 voice; 873 5081 fax
>http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/
>maui gratia

Humanist Discussion Group