12.0335 WWW manipulations

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:55:30 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@chass.utoronto.ca> (39)
Subject: Re: WWW manipulations and Meta-jacking

[2] From: Toby Burrows <tburrows@library.uwa.edu.au> (31)
Subject: Re: 12.0328 WWW manipulations

[3] From: Peter Evans <evans@i.hosei.ac.jp> (24)
Subject: WWW manipulations? (12.0328)

Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:45:15 -0500
From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@chass.utoronto.ca>

> An attentive Humanist, attending a dinner-party recently, heard about a
> technique by which clever people conspire to raise the probability that
> Internet search-engines will place their pages at the top of the list for
> any search on the relevant key-words. The example he gave was for "Darwin or
> evolution", which in the results of a Web crawler produced a list the first
> dozen or so of which were references to creationists' pages. I just tried a
> search on these terms in AltaVista and did not get the same results, but
> this hardly matters for the point to be made. I would assume that the
> technique in question is to use the META element to set multiple instances
> of the relevant keywords in order to run up a high score on the number of
> hits/page for these keywords. I've seen this done before.
>
> A clever person certainly could get around any simple checks based on the
> contents of the META element or proximity.
>
> What are the implications for one's reliance on the Internet as a source of
> information? It certainly doesn't take much of an imagination to see how an
> unscrupulous person could in effect drown out a competing view of some
> subject, such as evolution, by making sure that the first 100 hits would
> always be to his or her own.

Perhaps the most infamous, and most thorough-going, manipulation of this
search-engine vulnerability was the Web-page for the Heaven's Gate cult. They
not only included hundreds of repetitions of the most commonly-requested
search
words (sex, etc.) in the META element, but also repeated these words in the
body of the page using 0-sized font. In both cases, the words were invisible
yet exerted a powerful influence on search engines. Apparently, this practice
(shall we call it "meta-spoofing") is so common that it has generated another
practice, meta-jacking, the copy-paste of such code from one page to another.
Has anyone else heard anything more on the vocabulary of this practice?

> Is this a real worry? If so, what do we do about it?

Actually, I just glad to see SOMEONE using the tag. Many sites, created by
people whom one presumes would know better, contain no hint of content in the
META tag and seem to rely on the vagaries of search-engine algorithms and the
gritty determination of its potential audience to be found by same. The
practice of meta-spoofing at least implies an awareness of the need to be
found
and an understanding of how search-engines work. I only wish I saw it applied
more often, and more honestly. We should not abandon speech for liars.

gary