12.0310 online dictionaries

Tue, 24 Nov 1998 23:10:46 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 98 09:27:22 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Online dictionaries

From: "Jim Marchand" <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

There are all kinds of French-English, English-French dictionaries available
online; just browse. My favorite CD-ROM type dictionary is _Languages of
the World_, street price under $50.00 (I bought my last copy [for Windows]
for under $10.00). It offers keystroke availability for words in several
different languages: French, German, Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish,
Italian, Chinese, Japanese (displays the last two in their own scripts), and
I am sure I have left out some. The French is not their best, but it is
good enough. I am looking at a copy (it is put out by everybody) which
calls itself SONY CD-ROM Series by PDSC. It is copyrighted 1989 by CD-ROM
Multilingual Dictionary Database Group. Just look around; it is undoubtedly
listed in Bowker's _CD-ROMs in Print_ (also available on CD-ROM). It is one
of the best buys in the CD-ROM business. If you frequent old computer
shops, you will be able to get one cheap; I don't know why, but no one seems
to use it.
Jim Marchand.

Humanist Discussion Group